The operation of the Rosario Food Bank (BAR) has several aspects to improve that do not allow it to have the number of nutritious foods necessary to satisfy the regular demand of the social organizations it serves.
Due, on the one hand, to the fact that its activity depends in a large percentage on the donation of food, which is highly variable because it is subject to the production processes and the socio-economic situation of the donors. This makes it difficult to have these foods regularly and permanently.
On the other hand, the average number of staple foods (fruits, vegetables, meats, dairy products, etc.) delivered to beneficiary organizations represents only 30 % of the total food delivered, a very low percentage for this type of food, which necessarily they should be part of a comprehensive diet, especially for children who are the majority of its beneficiaries.
Additionally, the BAR receives a small number of staple foods and the are generally concentrated in certain periods of time with short expiration dates that do not allow for an efficient and equitable distribution.
All this causes serious damage and affects the beneficiary organizations circumstances because the do no allow then to have this food permanently and stable and, therefore, they cannot provide and adequate and regular service. In addition, the high costs they assume because they must purchase food at market prices, which implies a large decrease in the number of people who attend.
The project aims to create a production, processing and packaging venter for rescued food that allows the Rosario Food Bank (BAR) to obtain a greater quantity and variety of nutritious foods and extend their useful life in order to meet the growing demand for their beneficiary organizations duo to the difficult health emergency situation.
The population benefited by the project is composed, in a different way, by:
a) Beneficiary organizations: 750 organizations and institutions registered in the Rosario Food Bank, made up of schools, community centers, cultural centers, community dining rooms, picnic areas, kindergartens, children's homes, cooperatives, etc.
b) Direct beneficiaries: 180.000 people who are assisted on a regular basis by these beneficiary organizations with the delivery of food and other services. They are made up of 70 % boys and girls under 12 years of age Of the remaining 30 % of the adult population, 70 % are women and mothers.