Location: Snake River Elementary School in Nampa, Idaho
Project: Community Garden Extension and Improvements The project will meet the needs of providing fresh, local, organic, and nutritious food to a low-income food desert area of our city. The shade cover and picnic tables will extend the garden and provide a physical space for outdoor learning and community events. Through hands-on involvement, all participants learn about biodiversity, water conservation, soil heath, organic practices and the basic skills of growing food.
How Funds will be Used:
(4) Trellis for vining vegetables made of t-post and cattle fence- $230
(1) Pitchfork $59
(8) Bags of Concrete $96
(4) 46-inch Expanded Metal Square Single-Post Picnic Table- $3,255
*(Note on Tables: these can be mowed under and are grated which means the surface is a deterrent for graffiti.)
(2) Additional Raised Beds- $350
(4) Fruit Trees- $748
(1) Playground Grade Shade Structure $4,464
(1) Compost Bin- $150
(7) Square Yards of Mulch -$518
(1) Permit through the City of Nampa- $130
How Rotarians will be Involved:
On April 27th and 28th of 2024 Rotarians will dig holes, mix concrete, set the posts for tables and shade structure, build and install trellises, build new raised beds, plant fruit trees, build the compost bin, and spread mulch.