Mgbuoba is a residential town in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State, Nigeria. It is situated in the Northwestern region of the city of Port Harcourt with a population of over 30, 000 people (2006 Census) and her indigenes are predominantly farmer (Akani, 2019). The Rotary Club of Mgbuoba adopted the focus group discussion method in conducting the NEEDS Assessment. Relevant information was elucidated from the following groups: The paramount ruler of Mgbuoba community EZE (Dr.) Christian Akani & his council of Chiefs, Mgbuoba youths and women organizations, faith based organizations among others.
The various groups identify educational need as their most important priority and lament the absence of government owned primary and secondary schools in Mgbuoba community resulting in low school enrolment of their children and this have foster low literacy level, substance abuse, crime, cultism, kidnapping, violence, poverty, insecurity, high rate of unemployment and low economic development.
This project is aimed at addressing the aforementioned challenges as well as:
• To give young adults who never attempted schooling before opportunity to reach their full potentials.
• To raise standard of living, bring economic development & facilitate social/political transformation in the society.
• To improve individual/societal peace & enhance working efficiency.
• To reduce illiteracy to zero level in Mgbuoba Community.
• Develop better parents who could read, write and teach their children
• Improve young adults/parents employability by equipping them with the relevant skill sets
• Make them better citizens in order to participate in the sociopolitical/economic life of their community
• Provide a second chance to those who are poor in the society and have lost access to quality education.
DURATION:The program is designed to run 2 sessions per year and each session covers 5 months with 100 students per session and a total of 200 students per year. 1st session runs from August 1st- December 15th 2020 2nd session runs from February 1st 2021 - June 2021.
SUBJECTS:English language, mathematics, ICT, Business Studies and General knowledge. STUDENT KITS:Bags, note books, text books, Rotary branded T shirts, pens, mathematics sets and dictionaries.
LECTURE DAYS:Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.
FACILITIES: ICT Lab consisting of 50 CPUs and Monitors, Power point projector, screen, white boards, routers, printers, sockets, markers and directional banners stationeries,
furniture's & power generator.
ROTARIANS INVOLMENT: This projects will be under the supervision of club service committee, primary contacts as well as the club President
1. Each student is expected to get bag (1), note books (5), text books (5), Rotary branded T shirts (2), pens (3), mathematics sets (1) and dictionaries (1) at a cost of 33USD X 200 Students = 6,630.00 USD
2. ICT Lab consisting of
50 CPUs and Monitors = 9,669 USD
Power point projector, screen, white boards, = 110 USD
routers = 41 USD
printers (2) = 83 USD
sockets, markers and directional banners stationeries = 69USD
furniture's = 55 USD X 100 Pieces = 5,225 USD
Power Generator: 500 USD =15, 587 USD
3. Start up kits for graduate students:
1. Notebook computer @ 138 USD X 200 = 27, 624USD
4. Publicity: Radio, television, transport logistics = 1000 USD
GROUND TOTAL = 50,841.00 USD