Credit Card Fundraising
The project partners are seeking individual donations to bridge a funding gap. Please consider supporting this project with a credit card donation. To do this, click the "Donate Now" button below!
NAME OF THE PROJECT
Renovation of St. Francis Primary School - Bulindo
BRIEF PROJECT SUMMARY
St. Francis Primary School Bulindo, Kira - Uganda is a catholic church owned and government funded community school located in Kira, Wakiso District.
The Rotary Club of Najjeera in furtherance of the objectives of Rotary International and in the spirit of contribution to its immediate community is supporting the school in the focus area of Basic Education, Health and Literacy.
Following a needs assessment conducted in November 2017 and subsequent interaction with the school administration, it was revealed that the school infrastructure and learner welfare was sub-optimal hence affecting learning and general environmental conditions of the school; it lacks appropriate classrooms to support learning due to infrastructural defects such as leaking roofs as well as dilapidated floors, walls, windows and doors that are in a state of disrepair. In addition, there to inappropriate staff room, kitchen facilities, sub-optimal sanitary facilities for pupils and teachers and inadequate classroom furnishing.
Particularly for the infrastructure, starting this year 2020 the Rotary Club of Najjeera is to implement a project at the school with an aim of enhancing a number of structures namely the toilets, kitchen, staffroom and classroom facilities, as well as classroom and staffroom furnishing.
The following are key areas of immediate concern:
• Classroom infrastructure - The classroom walls, floors, windows and doors are in a state of disrepair. In addition, the roofs in all classrooms were leaking.
• Kitchen facilities - The school kitchen was totally destroyed during a heavy rain storm resulting in one of the classrooms now being used as a kitchen hence limiting space available for educational instruction.
• Staffroom and storage facilities - The space currently designated as a store and staffroom is extremely small. To mark pupils work, teachers squeeze themselves within their classrooms. Furthermore, both the existing staff room and store are dilapidated and earmarked for demolition to provide direct access for the new church.
• Head teachers office - There is no designated office for the head teacher. Currently, a classroom is being used as the head teachers' office thus limiting space available for educational instruction.
• Toilet facilities - Although the latrines have been partially rehabilitated, they are structurally dilapidated. To compound the matter, all latrines are almost full and do not have handwashing facilities nearby hence putting the pupils and teachers at a high risk of infection.
AREA OF FOCUS
Basic Education and Literacy / Water and Sanitation
On completion of the project the facilities will be maintained by the School Management Committee
EXPECTED PROJECT IMPACT
1) Renovation and freeing up of more class rooms (which would have been previously used as head teacher's office and kitchen) as well as staffroom would ensure a better learning environment for students and better teaching facilities for teachers, respectively. This will fulfill the needs of the community in getting quality education.
2) Creating improved facilities would result in recruiting quality teachers and sustain the growth of the school.
3) Providing sanitation facilities would improve the physical health of the student community.
PROJECT LOCAL HOST CLUB
Rotary Club of Najjeera
ROLE OF ROTARY CLUB MEMBERS
To facilitate building renovation and furnishing, and ensure project monitoring and completion with the procurement of quality materials of construction. To undertake the responsibility of sensitizing the staff and students in using the upgraded facilities.
PROPOSED PROJECT IMPLEMENTATION DATE
PROPOSED PROJECT COMPLETION DATE
Six months from the date of commencement
USD $ 74,000