The project partners are seeking individual donations to bridge a funding gap. Please consider supporting this project with a credit card donation. To do this, click the "Donate Now" button below!
The project main objective is the prevention and early diagnosis of skin cancer, especially melanoma, as it is the most severe among the three most common types of skin cancer. Due to its ability to starts a quick mitosis in internal organs, it's important a early diagnosis and treatment. Skin cancer accounts for 33% of all diagnoses of this disease in Brazil, and the National Cancer Institute (INCA) records about 180,000 new cases each year. To achieve this goal, it is necessary to purchase a device - SCANNER PHOTOFINDER, which will enable the initial care of 60 patients per month, with a capacity of 240 visits/month in a long term.
• FotoFinder is the fifth generation of modern equipment that stores and compares skin images and digital dermatoscopy, which is extremely important in the pre-assessment of pigmented lesions, thus enabling body mapping and monitoring of nevus evolution ("spots") all over the body. In addition, the database maps the lesion providing accurate information on the diameter, structure, shape, intensity of pigments and classifies the speck according to its degree of risk, suggesting a short or long-time monitoring. When the lesion is suspicious, if it is already tumoral or pre-tumoral, the device suggests an anatomopathological examination (biopsy) and, confirmed the diagnosis, surgical removal of the lesion is indicated, as well as complementary treatments.
THE HOSPITAL URGENTLY IN NEED OF FOTOFINDER
• The Unit does not perform care for pigmented lesions. With the PhotoFinder equipment, it will be possible to start taking care of 60 patients/month.
• The number of long-term health care can reach 240 patients/month.
DESCRIPTION OF THE HOSPITAL TO BE BENEFITED
• The Barretos Cancer Hospital is considered a national referral center for cancer treatment, with 100% of public patients (SUS). The resources used for maintenance of the Units are exclusive of SUS and donations.
• The hospital unit in the city of Fernandópolis was inaugurated in December 2012, in order to decentralize health care in the city of Barretos and bring cancer prevention closer to patients in the northwestern region of the state of São Paulo, serving 92 cities and benefiting approximately 1,144,594 inhabitants, only in the state of São Paulo, besides the patients form other states.
• The Fernandópolis Unit receives an average of 900 skin screening photos and makes, approximately, 1800 medical consults per year for patients with screening, prevention and treatment follow-up and skin cancer staging.
This project needs to receive some pledges to go to the next level. Please check the "Financing" tab to see the list of current pledges. Once the amount pledged is equal to the project budget, the status of the project will be automatically changed to "Fully Pledged". Click here to pledge support for this project.
Note: as of July 1, 2015 there is a 5% additional support fee for cash contributions. This fee does not appear in the financials above because it does not apply if the funds are sent directly to the project account (without going through TRF, and therefore without Paul Harris credit). Clubs sending their cash contribution to TRF must be aware they will have to send an additional 5%.