GOAL: To increase opportunities for quality education amongst children with disabilities in Sheema District, Uganda
Ishekye Church of Uganda and Kabwohe Town Council - A government entity
The Government Aided special needs school admits both ordinary and children with various special needs (deaf, blind, mental retardation, epileptics and physically handicapped). Underfunding limits its potential to serve the target population in Sheema district and beyond.
Furthermore, 80% of the surrounding community peasant farmers with limited income can hardly sustain the school let alone their families. The high population density of 315/Kmē in this poor community significantly contributes to environmental degradation.
They are; increasing quality education opportunities among children with disabilities; addressing the school's water and sanitation challenges; improving the pupils' nutrition status; increasing communities health and environment; and building the community's capacity to increase their household income
1. Needs Assessment Visits concluded, and reports and indicative budgets prepared
2. Identification and discussions with potential partners
3. Signing of MoUs
4. RFTs / RFQs (Requests for Tender / Quotation), Tender Evaluation, Award
5. Equipping the school, as laid out in the project proposals, preferably in 3 phases, subject to funds availability
6. Sensitization of the leaders and surounding ommunity on the proper use
of the tanks and water.
7. Skilling the surounding community on income generating activities
Target population: over 200 pupils and 20 teachers and support staff
Project duration; 2 years