1) HOST CLUB NAME : Rotary Club of Bweyogerere Central
CO HOST CLUB: Rotary club of Bweyogererere Namboole
2) PROJECT TITLE: Prevention and Control of substance abuse and problem gambling in schools of Uganda.
3) ROTARY AREA OF FOCUS :
a)Disease prevention and treatment
b) Basic education and literacy
4) PROJECT LOCATION: Five regions in Uganda ie -South,Central ,West,North and Eastern Uganda.
5) BACK GROUND AND JUSTIFICATION:
The Rotary club of Bweyogerere Central in conjunction with (NCDC)National culiculum developement centre and East African Centre for Addiction services (EACAS) intends to contribute to this nation by checking the growing levels of tobacco,alcohol and drug abuse across the country. Many affected people are in communities and others hospitalized over mental illness.This will be carried out in 5 regions of Uganda. If this problem is not solved Uganda will have a full generation of youth affected by the drug and the substance abuse and thus lowering the quality of our labour force.
This project is timely as there is an outcry in the whole country about thedangers of tobacco ,alcohol ,drug abuseand problem gambling between the age of 14-30.NCDC is in the period of reviewing the O'level curriculum and therefore this is an opportunity to integrate these issues in various subjects of national curriculum.
6) PROJECT OBJECTIVES:
a)To address the issues of school drop outs that are growing high in Uganda
b)To package the content of dangers of tobacco,alcohol and drug abuse in the national curriculum.
c)To sensitize the key stakeholders (teachers, parents and learners about the dangers of drugs and the substance abuse in Uganda.
d)To Treat about 150 youth with addictions and realize the contribution of Rotary in behavior change among the students of secondary education in Uganda.
7) PROJECT BENEFICIARIES:
They will include mostly youth ie students, the teachers, school administration, Parents, religious leaders and the communities surrounding the schools. Some will benefit directly by participating on the project anduse of the developed curriculum materials while others will benefit by interacting with students who have gone through the new curriculum.
8) PROJECT ACTIVITIES:
From number 6 to 13 activitieswill be carried out in each of 5 regions of Uganda.
1.Project planning Meeting
3.Capacity building workshop by foreign facilitators
4.Procure of project administrative and managements items
5.Procurement of vehicles
6.Development of exemplary Extracts
7.Transport to select schools
8.Photocopying of extracts
9.Teachers Training on the extracts
11.Treatment of addicted youth at the EACAS Treatment centre.
12.Workshop for incorporation of monitoring feedback
13.Launch and dissemination of the project.
• Expected improvement in school performance
• Use of school curriculum to teach on the dangers of drug abuse, alcohol misuse, tobacco and problem gambling.
• Good performance among schools due to reduced vices that had been hindering learning environment.
• Increased job opportunities as a result of learner change in behaviors.
• Reduced indiscipline at school involving fighting,theft,strikes at school,school fires,and defilement.
• improved personal hygiene of learners,stop of corporal punishments.
• To deter diseases related to smoking like;Tuberculosis, Lung cancer, tooth decay etc.
• Improved relations between the learners and their parents
10) BUDGET ESTIMATES:
We expect to be funded largely by Rotary Grants office in phases according to 5 regions of Uganda.
The procuament process and money will be controlled by TheRotary club of Bweyogerere Central as the Host local club. NCDC and EACAS partners will act as technical team to implement the project.
12)COMPLETE CONTACT INFORMATION:
EACAS: Mr Ali Ssentamu
East Africa Centre for Addiction Services
Sebowa Road Ntinda
Tel. +256200906823/+256 752 016 457
NCDC:Mr. Twine Said
NCDC Curriculum Specialist
National Curriculum Development Centre
P .o. Box 7002
Tel.+256 312 112088/+256 772 434563
The Rotary club of B weyogerere central
1. Rtn Mark Sanya
2. Rtn Andrew Muwamba
The Rotary club of Bweyogerere Namboole
1.Rtn Micheal Kigundu
2.Rtn Robinah Bomboka
3.Rtn Doreen Mubbala