1. Briefly describe the project. What was done, when and where did project activities take place, and who were the beneficiaries?
Many students in the Tustin Unified School District live in low social economic area. Many of the kids come from one parent homes or only one spouse is a wage earner. The tools for schools allows us to purchase new backpacks, school supplies and some bare minimum clothing (shoes) for students that are unable to purchase these required supplies on their own.
2. How many Rotarians participated in the project?
Approximately 75% of Rotarians are involved throughout the process.
3. What did they do? Please give at least two examples.
Rotarians are able to talk with school administrators as to who may need these backpacks and supplies. They are also able to distribute backpacks to the various elementary schools, middle schools and high schools in the Tustin Unified School District. We will also be coordinating with an organization know as Families Forward and the Tustin Family and Youth Center. Rotarians are able to meet families and we are in the process of arranging a shopping date for the kids.
4. How many non-Rotarians benefited from this project?
Approximately 200 to 500 kids and their families are impacted by this project.
5. What are the expected long-term community impacts of the project?
The Club started this program approximately 5 years ago and it was well received by the Tustin Unified School District and Families Forward and will continue to do this into the future. The match allows the Club to increase the number of backpacks, school supplies and clothing articles provided.
6. If a cooperating organization was involved, what was its role?
Families Forward, Tustin Family and Youth Center and Tustin Unified School District are all helpful in providing information for the families in need.